Thursday, April 5, 2012

A lesson on interpretation...

Last night at Swahili class we were given a scenario in which we had to pretend as if we were in a centerlink office. One person acted as the interpreter...2 people were a married, Muslim couple from Kenya who only spoke Swahili and one was the person who worked at centerlink and only spoke English. The couple were called in to discuss the possibility of gaining employment in Australia. Unfortunately, I was asked to be the interpreter...so with my little to NO knowledge of Swahili tried to interpret the conversation between someone who only spoke Swahili and someone who only spoke English...!

As much as it was a 'fun' and very challenging lesson in trying to speak and interpret Swahili I learnt SO much from this scenario.

Aside from the fact that it was an interesting language experience it showed me and reaffirmed the need to assess body language as well as the appropriate ways to greet people...e.g who to speak too..the man or the woman. Which person would be best to answer which questions and what is culturally sensitive. This was a great lesson that I needed reminding of as I head home to Kenya soon. For everyday encounters with Kenyans...so as to be as culturally correct as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment